2008 Mar 03 10:34

Re: [vox] banner - README.1ST

--- Mister Resistor <xxxxxx@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> > I am subscribed to a Linux User Group mailing list, and I wanna seem some
> > talk about Linux! Dont talk to me about sexism, racism, masochism (with NT
>
> It's just nerd bonding... ;-)  It's the same everywhere... the common nerd
> culture.  The side distractions are what make it somewhat social.
> Because, let's face it, _people_ run OS's and _people_ deal with _people_
> issues.

I agree.  Friday night, and where are the nerds?  They are at home, reading
their email.  I don't care that I have to d/l tons of messages.  I have seen
some lists where if I wait a day to check email, I would have 1000's of
messages.  LUGOD is chatty, but not cloggingly chatty (IMO).  Besides, alot of
group interaction occurs on the list.  Most people are too
shy/introverted/quiet/whatever to argue and discuss issues at
meetings/installfests/events, so the list is an outlet for those personalities
(myself included).

My $0.02 on the banner/sexism/objectifying of women:

I disagree with the objectification and exploitation of women, but I think that
there are several other causes that fights this issue other than classical
feminism.  I believe that buying Reebok or Nike shoes exploits more people than
reading pornography.  People in pornography usually make the choice to enter
that industry.  People in sweatshops usually have no choice about where they
work, what they do, which hazardous chemicals they get exposed to, etc.  I am
not saying people in the porn industry aren't exploited (they are, regardless
of gender), but I am trying to say the extent of exploitation is far greater in
a sweatshop environment.

I agree with the ideals of feminism, I just believe that I personally could
reduce the amount of exploitation in the world by:
1. Consuming less.
2. Buying secondhand goods.
3. Buying goods and services that don't use sweatshop labor.
4. Basically anything that reduces the demand for sweatshop goods.

I have been trying to do these things lately, and it's really hard to
completely disassociate yourself from sweatshop goods.  When sweatshop labor
has been a vital part to the economy in this country, it's hard to find goods
that don't rely on it.  But at least I make the effort.

--Jan

P.S.  The following stores are highly dependant on sweatshop labor, and since I
have learned about them, I haven't set foot in them:

Gap, J. Crew, Banana Republic, Calvin Klein, Old Navy, Abercrombie & Fitch,
Structure, and pretty much any brand name store in the mall.

Actually, in my research, I haven't found a retail outlet that completely
boycotts sweatshop labor.  If anyone knows of one, please let me know.