[vox] Has RPC been replaced/supplemented?

[vox] Has RPC been replaced/supplemented?

I am starting to learn about distributed process from a programming
perspective.  RPC is one way of doing this sort of thing.  The O'Reilly book I'm
reading ceased being published in 1992 (that's a long time in computer years).  Has some newer technology replaced RPC calls, or have RPC's been supplemented substantially since this time?

In addition, anyone know what distributed protocol are used by NDIS & SAMBA?

Thanks,

Don Dunn