[vox] Making a newer G3, G4, iMac, iBook, etc netboot Mac OS 9.1 from aL

[vox] Making a newer G3, G4, iMac, iBook, etc netboot Mac OS 9.1 from aLinux box instead of a Mac OS X box

Hello,

Back in late 1998 or early 1999, I took out some time and reverse
engineered Apple's Mac OS X Server Netbooting service by watching packets
fly across the wire with a sniffer while a mac net booted from a Mac OS X
Server. In one day, I understood the basic premise, and two days later I
migrated it over to happen fromm my Linux laptop. Then I spent 3 weeks
documenting what I did and placing it up on the web. After leaving it
untouched for over about 2 years, I have looked to update it a bit.

After revisiting this, I created a documented procedure on how to
take one of these newer Macs, a copy of Mac OS 9.1 on CD-ROM, and a linux
server with asun-netatalk, a tftpd service, and a dhcp server from isc
with a diff patch applied, and a little work to make a mac think my linux
box was a network device ready to serve it.

Alexstair Riddell has taken over development of the diff patches for the
dhcp server and this did fork the project a bit. However since I started
and finished my development in 2 days, I think it is a good idea for
someone more active to take it over.

Anyway, if you have interest in netbooting a mac with MacOS 9.1 from a
Linux server, you may want to check out http://mike.passwall.com/macnc/

A yet unincorporated document that will eventually be moved to the patches
page is available for review at http://mike.passwall.com/macnc/method.html

*shameless plug*
An associate and myself will be offering a presentation at NBLUG (North
Bay Linux User Group) at the O'reilly and Associates building in
Sebastapol on July 10th to include discussion of this procedure,
netbooting 96 Linux Network Computers in our library from a Linux Server,
and Wireless Network booting of 7 prototype Dell
laptops. ( http://www.nblug.org/ )

I'll be bringing in a Wireless Access Point. (One of the ones from Linksys
BEFW11S4 which I had to patch with a piece of beta firmware to have it
work with Linux.) It will be configured with no WEP (no key for no
encryption across the air) and an ESSID/SSID of "linsys" and a dhcp server
to hand out IPs for people to use 802.11b wireless gear during the demo.
It will also service the wireless network booting laptops during the demo.
(Of course, I can bring this WAP to the LUGOD group in August when I come
to visit if that is desired by its members.)

If you wanted to see a netbooting presentation on a minimum of 3 system
types using Linux as a server and in most cases a client too, feel free to
come visit our cozy group. (I am only a member, not a president or
anything like that..)

-ME