Re: [vox] banner - README.1ST

At 03:40 PM 6/22/01 , Mark K. Kim wrote:
Oh man~ we got minors on our list.

-Mark

And "we" have women who don't appreciate being viewed as objects or toys.  I've been thinking about joining, but now I wonder if this organization is for me...

Here's a page for you, Gabe:  http://www.cs.utk.edu/~bartley/other/10Things.html

Ten Things Men Can Do to End Sexism and Male Violence Against Women

1. Read about yourself. Read articles, essays, books about masculinity, gender inequality, and the root causes of sexual violence. Educate yourself and others about the connections between larger social forces and the conflicts between individual women and men.

2. Understand how your own attitudes and actions perpetuate sexism and violence, and work toward changing them.

3. Confront sexist, racist, homophobic and all other bigoted remarks or jokes. Boycott comedians such as Andrew Dice Clay who verbally assault women in their acts. Boo in comedy clubs when male comedians tell sexist jokes.

4. Recognize homophobia and speak out against gay-bashing. Discrimination against lesbians and gays is a key way in which we're all confined in restrictive gender roles.

5. Don't fund sexism. Don't purchase any magazine, rent any video or buy any piece of music that portrays women in a sexually degrading or violent manner. Protest sexism in the media.

6. Support candidates for political office who are committed to the full social, economic and political equality of women. Actively oppose candidates who are not.

7. Support and fight for increased state and federal funding for battered women's shelters and rape crisis centers. Volunteer where men are needed in public schools, youth outreach centers and political lobby groups.

8. Support or propose curriculum changes, at every level of the educational system, which mandate courses and programs dealing with sexism and sexual violence. Urge coaches of boys' and men's athletic teams to require their players to attend workshops and seminars on sexism and male violence against women.

9. Organize or join a group of men, in school, at your workplace or among friends, to work against sexism and violence.

10. Support feminists. Commit yourself to ending oppression in all its forms.

And I'll add 11.  Remove that offensive web page.

Thank you.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Gabriel Rosa wrote:

> hey all,
>
> so, I thought to myself: if we want more members, we need some aggressive
> marketing.
>
> well, here's an idea

<dumb idea snipped>