Re: [vox] LUGOD advertisement...

speck@blkmtn.org wrote:

> > Actually, if you look at your average NT admin, versus your average Unix
> > admin, I would tend to think that the Unix admins are sexier -- they're
> > more relaxed, smile more (albeit not in a friendly manner), have no
> > fear, and don't cringe every time they catch a flash of something blue
> > in the sunlight.
>
> Based on what empherical data?
> 1.  On the No Fear issue.  NT Admins go forth and install NT servers.  Fear, HAH!

Do not confuse bravery and stupidity. :P

Or, if you prefer, "Fools go where angels fear to tread.".

> 2.  I, and most of my co-workers smile a lot.  And often on a friendly manner.

So what's the difference between this and, say, used-car salesmen or
proctologists?

> 3.  Nah, that's a myth.  NT Administrators don't cringe at Blue, we know how to properly install software so we see it about as often as Unix admins see a core dump.  It's END USERS or those who THINK they are admins playing with their systems and failing to view the README files that cringe at BLUE.

I won't argue this one; a properly set-up NT cluser can have an uptime
of hours, even.

> > The fact that Unix admins make more than their NT counterparts might not
> > hurt...*grin*
> That might account for the illusion of sexiness.  :)

No, that accounts for the geek toys.  The illusion of sexiness comes
from the Mad-Pimpin' Penguin. *grin*

Or, which is sexier -- a soft, cuddly penguin with Ninja skills; or cold
shards of glass from broken Windows?

> So the objective is to know both.  :)

Of course!  How else are you going to migrate people to Unix?

You know what I always say -- fight fire with tac-nukes...

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"Fear is the mind-killer." (Frank Herbert)