2008 Mar 03 10:34

Re: [vox] UPS

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Christine Scobee wrote:

> I apologize for boring any vox subscribers who were hoping to glean some
> technical information from this post, and instead ended up with A Brief
> History of Christine. :)  So -- please don't flame me, I'm just ... verbose.

n/p.  I still don't see too many non-technical people using Linux as their
general purpose OS.  Hence, I was curious.  I would have been amazed if
you said something like:

"Yeah, I'm a cook.  I run a bakery, and all the ovens run the 2.2.17
kernel.  Lately, performance has been lagging so I modified the scheduler
and designed some peripherals to tell me when the bread was just right...
It's so hard to tweak the code to get that golden brown color in the
muffins - but the sprinkles machine masks that rather well.  Oh, I also
play solitaire with some KDE app I wrote.  All my bakery friends use it now
too.  Want a cupcake courtesy of my latest device driver?"

Hence, I had to ask... There are some rare cases where people who are
non-technical use Linux.  But, that doesn't happen too often still.  I
usually just tell non-technical people to run Windows myself... Unless
they seem motivated to learn.

My curiosity has been satisfied.  Thanks.

--
Pavan xxxxxx (xxxxxx@uiuc.edu)   http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~xxxxxx
Computer Engineering Student     University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign