2013 May 30 15:14

Re: [vox-tech] Simple fixed field parsing language (DSL)

Re: [vox-tech] Simple fixed field parsing language (DSL)

I am glad you like it. I will have to check out the Scala parser combinator.
I am not sure if Java is quite the optimal tool for language development, but
if you are doing Java, ANTLR certainly seems to be the tool to bring language
development features to the table.

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 02:22:27PM -0700, Harold Lee wrote:
>    The other really cool aspect is that your ANTLR parser is parsing the
>    format.txt in order to build a parser for sample.dat.
>
>    On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Harold Lee <[1]harold@hotelling.net>
>    wrote:
>
>    This makes a really cool sample project for how to use ANTLR :-)
>    These days on the JVM I'd favor Scala parser combinators. Here's a
>    great example of solving a similar problem (CSV) with those:
>    [2]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5063022/use-scala-parser-combinat
>    or-to-parse-csv-files
>
>    On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Brian Lavender <[3]brian@brie.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      I created a simple language inspired by the picture format in COBOL.
>      [4]https://github.com/brieweb/fixedfield.git
>      In order to run it, you need Maven 3 and Java 6.
>      brian
>      --
>      Brian Lavender
>      [5]http://www.brie.com/brian/
>      "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
>      make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
>      other
>      way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
>      deficiencies."
>      Professor C. A. R. Hoare
>      The 1980 Turing award lecture
>
> References