2013 Mar 05 10:49

Re: [vox-tech]=?utf-8?q?Is_NFS_unsafe=3F_=5BWas=3A_Clusters=2C_rende?==?utf-8?q?rfarms_and_MySQL=2E=2E=2E=5D?=

Re: [vox-tech]=?utf-8?q?Is_NFS_unsafe=3F_=5BWas=3A_Clusters=2C_rende?==?utf-8?q?rfarms_and_MySQL=2E=2E=2E=5D?=

<snip>

> A paragraph from the Mysql docs (5.6.1):
> > Even when the preceding precautions are observed, this kind of setup >
> works only with MyISAM and MERGE tables, and not with any of the
> > other storage engines. Also, this warning against sharing a data
> > directory among servers always applies in an NFS environment.
> > Permitting multiple MySQL servers to access a common data directory
> > over NFS is a very bad idea.

Yes. The administrators shouldn't create the same table on
multiple MySQL servers when the multiple DB files point
to the same place.

> The primary problem is that NFS is the
> > speed bottleneck.

Yes. The bottleneck will be the network. NFS is just an option if
your database grows past your local disk space. However, it's an easy
option when compared with setting up a cluster.

> It is not meant for such use.

Actually, it runs just fine on a 300+ million record table.
Thirty users are selecting, inserting, updating, and deleting
records throughout the day.

It's probably a few eye-blinks slower than if the DB files
were on the same computer running the MySQL server, however.
But 10 years ago, the DB files grew larger than the local
disk space. So moving the measurement table to a newer
computer and pointing the DB files across NFS to the
newer computer solved this problem. It was a logical
thing to try, and nothing broke.

> Another risk with NFS
> > is that you must devise a way to ensure that two or more servers do
> > not interfere with each other.

Again, yes. The administrators shouldn't create the same table on
multiple MySQL servers when the multiple DB files point
to the same place.

I can't comment on these further remarks because these issues
have never come up. In my experience, MySQL just works
fine across NFS.