January 6: Social gathering
2012 Jun 12 18:00

Re: [vox-tech] Linux Kiosk Distro

I will take a look at the freecode site you mentioned.

They kiosk will be used to access the internet. I am not too concerned with restricting what sites that they visit. Rather, I want to prevent permanent damage/corruption of the host computer.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Tony Cratz <cratz@hematite.com> wrote:
On 06/12/2012 05:51 PM, Thomas Johnston wrote:
> I was guessing that this would be a common thing and would have a simple
> tutorial somewhere. And I was thinking that using a major distro like
> Ubuntu may not be the way to go. Would it not be easier to secure a
> lightweight distro, because you can add only what functionality you
> need, rather than remove all the stuff you don't?

       You can start with something like Ubuntu Minimal. And then
       add only the packages you want. It is very light weight.
       If you know Debian, think netboot. While it installs everything
       over the network you end up with a very simple CLI version of
       Ubuntu which you can build up your OS from there.

       Note Minimal is not a server install.

                                                       Tony