2012 Jun 12 17:51

[vox-tech] Linux Kiosk Distro

A friend of mine asked me if I could help him with a project: building an internet kiosk machine running some flavor of Linux. The computer is to be used by the public in his volunteer organization. I said I have no real exerience with that, but I would give it a shot. I have done some searching online and it looks like there are many ways to go about the project but I thought I would solicit advice from Lugod before getting too far into it. I noticed that there are several hundred posts regarding "kiosks" on vox-tech.

Some requirements/desires:
It needs to be free, or very close to free.
We would like users to have web browser access and that's it. The web browswer should have Active X support (I am leaning towards Chromium)
If the user could be presented with a fullscreen browser and nothing else, that would be great.
Requires little to no maintenance.

The computer itself is actually pretty nice, a Dell Dimension 9100. I haven't played with the machine to verify that it is still in its original form, but Dell Service Tag (9D7D881) says it has the following specs:

Any advice on what distribution to use, tutorials to follow, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

thomas