2012 May 29 11:36

Re: [vox-tech] Cloning LVM volume over network

On 05/27/2012 09:16 AM, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> writes:
>
>> I'm looking for the most efficient way to clone an LVM volume 50GB from
>> one physical machine to another. Both machines must stay up, so that
>> rules out clonezilla. I'd also like it to be more efficient that dd, so
>> more similar to partimage or partclone where it skips the empty space
>> and only copies the filled part.
>>
>> Anyone have examples that show how to do this?
>
> I'd typically use rsync...  Fast and efficient :-)

I think I should clarify that my lvm volume is a virtual machine so I
need to copy partition information too.

What I'm looking at right now is something like:
dd if=/dev/vg_root/lv_zimbra bs=1k | ssh zen4 dd
of=/dev/vg_root/lv_zimbra bs=1k

But I'd like to figure out the syntax to do that with partclone because
it's more efficient than dd.

Thanks,
Alex