2012 May 05 00:45

Re: [vox-tech] Serious Xorg problem

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 03:13:14PM -0700, Richard Harke wrote:
> I'm at Panera bread using their wi-fi. After I logged in with panera,
> I opened another tab. Then a
> box-image (badly corrupted) from panera appeared over the second tab.
> Even worse this box now appears over all windows based applications,
> emacs and okular, in particular. It is still there
> even after I kill the application and re-start it. It also appears
> over the other browser I wasn't using at the time. This makes me
> believe it is something in Xorg. But as far as I can tell, no libs
> or bins were modified. This on debian squeeze for amd-64. (on an asus
> laptop) This is making the machine nearly unusable.

Are you able to take a screenshot?

Also, take a look at this, and see if it helps.

  http://shallowsky.com/blog/programming/killing-tooltips.html
  (yes, this is the same Akkana who spoke at LUGOD last month :) )

Her tool has to do with tooltips, but I've also seen Chromium (in
previous versions; not recent) where when I do a right-click over an
image, sometimes suddenly a chunk of the browser (what was behind the
right-click menu) remains on my screen.  They would go away when the
browser quit, but would remain until that point.  Closing the tab or
parent window wouldn't suffice; the browser would need to be quit
completely (e.g., close the final window).  Very annoying.

Sent from my computer