2012 Apr 06 11:13

Re: [vox-tech] init scripts on Debian problems with upgrade

Re: [vox-tech] init scripts on Debian problems with upgrade

I keep this box updated, but it is about six years old. It has been
running Lenny until they stopped updates last month. It doesn't act as
an smtp gateway and only has a local config. Exim 3 got held back and
I decided to manually purge it.  But, I guess the exim4 saw that and
decided that it would cough and sputter. I purged Exim with Postfix. Now,
to see if I can go back.

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 02:22:35PM -0400, Ken Bloom wrote:
>    Make sure that you've upgraded to the most recent version of these
>    packages (if the packages still exist) -- some of the packages may have
>    sprouted version numbers that you'll have to track down. Purge any of
>    the responsible packages that remain after that (e.g. xfree86-common is
>    probably totally obsolete, if it hasn't been replaced by some other
>    package, then there's probably no replacement for this package that's
>    necessary.)
>
>    Just to check: Debian has an wonderful ability to upgrade machines from
>    release to release and get everything to happen correctly, even when
>    you start at hamm, but you have to make sure to hit the intermediate
>    stable releases (and to read the release notes about how to upgrade for
>    each release). Are you sure you didn't skip any intermediate stable
>    releases between whatever your machine was running and squeeze? You
>    don't have to hit every maintenance release, but you do need to hit
>    every release that was big enough to have its own code name.
>    On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:19 AM, Brian Lavender <[1]brian@brie.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      I have an old Debian system I upgraded to Squeeze, but the init
>      scripts are giving
>      me problems. Is there an easy way to fix this?
>      insserv: warning: script 'K20exim' missing LSB tags and overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'K85bind' missing LSB tags and overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'K20apache' missing LSB tags and overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'K85bind9' missing LSB tags and overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'S39dns-clean' missing LSB tags and
>      overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'S25libdevmapper1.01' missing LSB tags and
>      overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'S25libdevmapper1.02' missing LSB tags and
>      overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'S70xfree86-common' missing LSB tags and
>      overrides,
>      insserv: warning: script 'exim' missing LSB tags
>      --
>      Brian Lavender
>      [2]http://www.brie.com/brian/
>      "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
>      make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
>      other
>      way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
>      deficiencies."
>      Professor C. A. R. Hoare
>      The 1980 Turing award lecture
>
> References