January 6: Social gathering
2012 Apr 05 18:23

Re: [vox-tech] init scripts on Debian problems with upgrade

Re: [vox-tech] init scripts on Debian problems with upgrade

Make sure that you've upgraded to the most recent version of these packages (if the packages still exist) -- some of the packages may have sprouted version numbers that you'll have to track down. Purge any of the responsible packages that remain after that (e.g. xfree86-common is probably totally obsolete, if it hasn't been replaced by some other package, then there's probably no replacement for this package that's necessary.)

Just to check: Debian has an wonderful ability to upgrade machines from release to release and get everything to happen correctly, even when you start at hamm, but you have to make sure to hit the intermediate stable releases (and to read the release notes about how to upgrade for each release). Are you sure you didn't skip any intermediate stable releases between whatever your machine was running and squeeze? You don't have to hit every maintenance release, but you do need to hit every release that was big enough to have its own code name.