2012 Feb 14 10:25

[vox-tech] Default directory permissions

[vox-tech] Default directory permissions

The way to achieve group collaboration is to have new files and
directories
become the group name of the group, not the default group name of the
creator. Also, new files and directories need to have the group's
write bit set. Here are the commands:

1) sudo chmod g+wxs .
2) sudo chgrp psacln .
3) sudo echo "umask 0002" >> /etc/profile

The key is the s-bit set on the directory. This has the special meaning
of setting new files' and directories' group name to the group name
of the directory, not the creator.

The umask command says to always turn on the group's write bit for new
files and directories.

<snip>