January 6: Social gathering
2012 Jan 31 20:55

Re: [vox-tech] sata 2

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, jimbo wrote:

> Great feedback, thanks guys.
>
> I do like quality and don't mind paying for it.  Asus it is.
>
> As far as sata 2/3  solid state drives I have found that there are regular
> quality drives in the terabit range for about the same price as the ssd one
> I was looking at (It was 60GB and for aprox 130 smackers).

If you are planning to do anything where I/O latency will have you
gritting your teeth and pulling out hair, pay for the SSDs. For example,
streaming can stutter when I/O bound. My virtual machines lock up for a
second or so when I/O bound as well.

But if you're just planning to do something like a file server or web
server, you probably won't notice a little I/O latency and SSDs aren't
absolutely necessary.