2012 Jan 31 13:54

Re: [vox-tech] sata 2

On 01/30/2012 12:08 PM, jimbo wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I am compiling a list of possible components to build a mini pc.  I want to
> use a solid state drive that is sata 2.  I am not sure if this is compatible
> with the ITX board I am interested in.  According to light research sata 2
> is just a more robust stream and should be compatible with any sata on any
> motherboard.  Is this a wrong assumption?
>
> Bottom line will it work with my desired ITX board?
>
> Reference:
> ITX board of interest:
> http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-h67-wifi-h67itx-a-e.html
> Wiki sata reference:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
>
> Jimbo

Yes those are compatible. Generally SATA 2 = SATA 3.0 Gb/s
SATA 2 drives are backwards compatible with SATA 1 ports 1.5 Gb/s, they
just run at the slower bandwidth.

The board in Question appears to support SATA 2 and 3. It will likely
run SATA 1 drives if you happen to get them, just at a slower bandwidth.

If you want an analogy it's just like the days of ATA/33 vs ATA/66 vs
ATA/100. All the same port but different supported speeds.

Enjoy,
Alex