Re: [vox-tech] Eclipse with Maven plugin is so cool!

Re: [vox-tech] Eclipse with Maven plugin is so cool!

I still prefer using the maven's eclipse plugin and archetypes from
the command line, and then importing manually into eclipse.  m2e has a
bunch of limitations, especially if you have a pom that uses
"interesting" build phases.  Of course for simple things this isn't a
problem.  Also, in my experience whenever a change was done it
triggered a mvn build which was a bit more than eclipse's incremental
builder.  This was the deal breaker for me.

So basically what I do is:

- Create the maven project if necessary
- mvn clean install -DdownloadSources=true -DdownloadJavadoc=true
- mvn eclipse:eclipse -DdownloadSources=true -DdownloadJavadoc=true

then import into eclipse.  In one project I worked on, it caused
problems having eclipse build into target.  There's a define you can
use to get maven to generate the eclipse artifacts in such a way that
it uses a different build directory.  I also still have m2e installed,
but mainly to have it do the M2_REPO variable.

The other nice thing is if you have a relatively simple app, you can
use jetty to launch it and do rapid development that way.  Of course I
personally prefer using GWT for my UI work (or jQuery) and then just
using rest endpoints to get/post data back.  However, I don't get to
use that paradigm much anymore.

Mike

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:
> I have been hacking Java lately using Eclipse and the Maven plugin.
> I have to say that it is really cool to view a sample project and just hop
> into libraries' source code with 'F3'. It is soooo cool!
>
> For example. I am looking at a wicket project.
> http://www.brie.com/brian/wicket/zebra00.zip
>
> Unzip it.
> Open Eclipse.
> http://www.eclipse.org
> Install the Maven plugin
> http://www.eclipse.org/m2e/
>
> Unzip the zebra00.zip project
>
> Import the project by doing the following.
>
> File->Import->Maven
> Existing Maven Projects
> Select the directory where zebra00 was unzipped.
>
> The project should now be imported. Tell eclipse to grab
> the sources and Javadocs by right clicking the project and selecting
> Maven->Download Sources
>
> Now open Index.java.
> /zebra00/src/main/java/com/brie/dtoo/Index.java
>
> Maven structures projects so files are located in src/main/java for regular classes.
> Under that, you should see a package named com.brie.dtoo and then the file
> named Index.java.
>
> Open it and go to Line 100, column 12. Press 'F3' once the cursor is located over the
> PropertyModel method.
>
> Voila, the class source from the wicket library opens in a new window! Cool, or what?
>
> brian
> --
> Brian Lavender
> http://www.brie.com/brian/
>
> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other
> way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
>
> Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> The 1980 Turing award lecture

Michael Wenk
mjwenk@ucdavis.edu