2011 Oct 17 12:52

Re: [vox-tech] [Solution] Gnome Classic on Ubuntu 11.10

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> wrote:
On 10/17/2011 09:31 AM, Cam Ellison wrote:
> On 11-10-17 09:10 AM, Darth Borehd wrote:
>> Yep, this is why I am still on 10.10.
>>
>> What were thinking?� Is Jono really OK with this?
>>
> This is one of the reasons I stick with Kubuntu. No sign of Unity there
> - not that is obvious, in any case.
>
> Cheers
>
> Cam

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3926371/Jono-Bacon-Defends-Ubuntu-An-Insiders-Perspective.htm

Let's not give in to that war, gave up on KDE long ago for various
obnoxious features, never liked Kubuntu to start due to it's K* suite of
stuff and other default packages, but did give it a whorl as KDE on top
of Ubuntu install. I'd say it works for some but not for the people who
have generally liked Gnome.

So yes if you dislike unity and you've never tried KDE I do suggest to
give it a shot.

Meanwhile, I really enjoy Unity - so in the same spirit, if you've never tried it, give it a shot.

simple, clean, intuitive? more native 32bit/64bit integration? intuitive search/launch for files, applications, music? automatic external monitor configuration? out-of-the-box tablet support with onscreen keyboard for login?  It's not perfect, but I like seeing innovation.  don't like it? linux has always had variety

Thanks,
Alex

Carl Boettiger
UC Davis