2011 Oct 03 16:13

[vox-tech] Removing metadata from JPEGs (was re: Removing mega-datafrom jpgs)

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 03:43:44PM -0700, Tony Cratz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I have been working with one of my authors getting ready to
> 	publish another E-book for him.
>
> 	This time we will be including 6 images at the start of each
> 	chapter. He asked if a person could get any mega-data from the
> 	images if they were to extract the images from the E-book
> 	format (such as from a EPUB file).

I'm assumin so, since I imagine the JPEGs would just be stored within the
ZIP that is an EPUB as-is.  Though I suppose it depends on your workflow.
*shrug*

In any case, the term you guys are looking for is "metadata", not
'mega data" :^D

Google [1] says you can use ImageMagick "mogrify -strip imagename.jpg" [2]
or something I hadn't heard of before: "jhead -purejpg /path/to/image.jpg" [3],
for example.

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=remove+metadata+jpg+linux
[2] http://hacktux.com/read/remove/exif
[3] http://blog.techfun.org/2009/11/how-to-remove-exif-data-from-jpeg-files-in-ubuntu/