2011 Jul 01 13:28

Re: [vox-tech] CalDAV

Quoting Peter Salzman (p@dirac.org):

> I can't figure out why calDAV isn't more utilized.

I'll speculate:

1.  Rapid standards churn.  iCAL, xCal, iTIP, iMIP, vCalendar, vCard,
BEEP, CAP, WebDAV, CalDAV....   Seems like CalDAV has become the
surviving commodity standard, but those of us who watched the standards
squabble over the yeard got a bit lost in all of the alphabet soup, and
one suspects that a common reaction was 'Wake me up when all of this
gets sorted out.'

2.  Lack of enthusiasm for Java.  Bedework, like UW Calendar before it,
seems like a huge amount of Java infrastructure (servlets, directory
services, a lot more) and a back-end database for a fairly basic set of
scheduling functions that might possibly be achievable without so
much... stuff.

Seems to be a common syndrome, e.g., Chandler Server (Cosmo).  And the
non-Java alternatives are pretty heavy engineering, too.

My own page on scheduling, which of course is way out of date and needs
updating (see item #1, rapid standards churn):
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Apps/scheduling.html