2011 Jun 21 08:37

Re: [vox-tech] (no subject)

I feel like addressing the third point...

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 05:08:07AM -0700, Dr. Denny Scronek wrote:
>    3. He had to wipe my old crap and install a new OS from a stick ...
>    seemed to go quickly because I have a fast beast.

I first tried booting his system with SystemRescueCD (gentoo-based) to
see if I could access his Xubuntu installation from there and either fix
X or back things up to prep for re-installation.

His console was totally unreadable in both SystemRescueCD and Xubuntu,
so I attributed it to a hardware issue -- in hindsight, it was more
likely a driver issue or some other setting. I don't think it was
framebuffer; the rescue stick was supposed to boot without it.

In the interest of time and the possibility that things were beyond
fixing, I did not try the other boot options SystemRescueCD had to
offer. However, I'm certain X would've worked. Then, things could've
been either fixed or backed up instead of wiped.

His laptop now runs Debian squeeze. X works fine. Console remains
unreadable. I found a thread from 2005 on LQ that describes the issue:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/display-garbled-not-corrupted-in-linux-console-sessions-376463/

Eric