2011 Jun 19 21:37

Re: [vox-tech] flash video does not work on selected websites

Re: [vox-tech] flash video does not work on selected websites

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Thomas Johnston wrote:

I have two notebook computers, one of which cannot play flash video on
selected websites, e.g. thedailyshow, but has no trouble on sites such
as youtube. When I click on a video to play, I can see an icon
spinning as it usually does while the video is buffering, but after a
few seconds the portion of the screen containing the video goes black
and nothing else happens.

(1) notebook that works:
Dell Studio 1535 running kubuntu 10.10 64 bit, 2.6.35-28-generic
browsers: Chromium 12.0.742.91 (87961)  &
              Firefox version 3.6.17

aptitude search flash yields:
pi     flashplugin-nonfree
iB    flashplugin64-installer

from the browser's search bar, I type: about:plugins and I see:
Flash - Version: 10.3.162
Shockwave Flash 10.3 d162
Name:Shockwave Flash
Version:10.3 d162
Location:/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
 MIME types:                         Description           File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash    Shockwave Flash    .swf
application/futuresplashFuture   Splash Player         .spl

(2) notebook that has trouble with flash:
Dell Inspiron 6400 running Kubuntu 10.10 64 bit, 2.6.35-30-generic
browsers:  Chromium 14.0.794.0 (Developer Build 89286 Linux)  &
              Firefox version 3.6.17

aptitude search flash yields:
i    flashplugin64-installer

from the browser's search bar, I type: about:plugins and I see same as above.

other plugins installed:
VLC multimedia plugin
Iced tea NPR web browser plugin
silverlight plugin

I followed the instructions from the following post:
nickj.org/Ubuntu_desktop_setup_steps#Install_Flash_on_AMD64

with no change in behavior of flash video performance.

Any ideas?

I've come across this on a few websites. Very rarely does the solution end up having anything to do with Flash. In one case, it was linked to having the AdBlock Plus add-on installed on Firefox. Another was fixed when I noticed the MTU was 576 instead of 1500 and changed it (this one I caught by doing a Wireshark capture). Basically, the issue was related to other checks the sites were doing and not so much the Flash installation.

One Flash specific thing to check: the settings for Flash, particularly Flash LSOs ("Flash cookies"). You can look at the settings with the following website:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html

Make sure to click through to each panel and compare the settings. If they differ between machines, it might explain why one machine works and the other machine does not.

Otherwise, start looking into other configuration differences between the machines. Perhaps there's a conflict with another plugin or a browser setting or a browser add-on. There's a multitude of places where things can go wrong given the complexity of the modern browser. You might have to try the old (but tried and true) method of disabling everything but Flash, see if it works, then one-by-one re-enable plugins and add-ons until it stops working to find the issue.