2011 Jun 18 16:13

[vox-tech] flash video does not work on selected websites

[vox-tech] flash video does not work on selected websites

I have two notebook computers, one of which cannot play flash video on
selected websites, e.g. thedailyshow, but has no trouble on sites such
as youtube. When I click on a video to play, I can see an icon
spinning as it usually does while the video is buffering, but after a
few seconds the portion of the screen containing the video goes black
and nothing else happens.

(1) notebook that works:
Dell Studio 1535 running kubuntu 10.10 64 bit, 2.6.35-28-generic
browsers: Chromium 12.0.742.91 (87961)  &
               Firefox version 3.6.17

aptitude search flash yields:
pi     flashplugin-nonfree
iB    flashplugin64-installer

from the browser's search bar, I type: about:plugins and I see:
Flash - Version: 10.3.162
Shockwave Flash 10.3 d162
Name:Shockwave Flash
Version:10.3 d162
Location:/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
  MIME types:                         Description           File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash    Shockwave Flash    .swf
application/futuresplashFuture   Splash Player         .spl

(2) notebook that has trouble with flash:
Dell Inspiron 6400 running Kubuntu 10.10 64 bit, 2.6.35-30-generic
browsers:  Chromium 14.0.794.0 (Developer Build 89286 Linux)  &
               Firefox version 3.6.17

aptitude search flash yields:
i    flashplugin64-installer

from the browser's search bar, I type: about:plugins and I see same as above.

other plugins installed:
VLC multimedia plugin
Iced tea NPR web browser plugin
silverlight plugin

I followed the instructions from the following post:
nickj.org/Ubuntu_desktop_setup_steps#Install_Flash_on_AMD64

with no change in behavior of flash video performance.

Any ideas?

thomas