2011 Jun 10 23:19

Re: [vox-tech] best way to validate an XML file?

Re: [vox-tech] best way to validate an XML file?

xmllint recognized if an end tag was missing, but it did not recognize
when I put in an extra attribute such as below. Eclipse recognized it
right away after validating against the schema. The "foo" tag is invalid.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.brie.dto</groupId>
    <artifactId>mydb</artifactId>
    <packaging>pom</packaging>
    <name>Simple HSQLDB for OpenOffice</name>
    <version>1.0</version>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>hsqldb</groupId>
            <artifactId>hsqldb</artifactId>
            <version>1.8.0.10</version>
	    <foo>dis</foo>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
</project>

On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 01:35:41PM -0700, Bryan Richter wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 12:52:20PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > What is everyone using to validate an XML file on GNU/Linux? I have a
> > pom.xml file that I would to check is valid.
>
> I used xmllint, which is in the libxml2-utils package on Ubuntu.
> However, I recall I mostly used it for parsing, and I think the
> version I used didn't even support validation.
>
> It appears to support it now, however. The system I was using xmllint
> on was 'stable' and enterprise-y and had old software. :)
>
> -b

Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare