2011 May 03 09:14

Re: [vox-tech] Extremely slow bootup

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 11:53:10AM -0500, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> My laptop is running Debian's 2.6.38-2-amd64 kernel, and when booting it
> today, I discovered it was extremely slow to boot up (like 5 to 10
> minutes). There's no particular obvious culprit -- it just seems each of
> the initscripts takes longer. When debugging I tried to debug this, I
> noticed that programs are also slow to load. The system is also very
> slow to shut down. Again, there's no particular obvious culprit -- it
> just seems each of the initscripts takes longer.

Here are my initial thoughts.

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. What about running a drive io test?
What does syslog say as far as kernel messages?

And, what about booting with a rescue/standalone disk? Does that go just as
slow?

Seeing how disks are so cheap, you could buy another Hard Drive, drop it in,
see how it performs, and then just use it in an external enclosure.

But, there could be other problems I suppose? Is there something that would
cause an "interrupt" that would cause the system to hang? I had a system that
had software flow control on the serial consoles and it would hang that
program. Could your tty be blocking?

brian
--
Brian Lavender