2011 Mar 12 10:12

Re: [vox-tech] Two Install Questions

On 03/12/2011 06:56 AM, Bob Scofield wrote:
> So I mounted it to see what it was.  It's an empty directory
> called "lost+found."
>
> What is that there?  What does lost+found do?  Why do I need it?

	All Unix base systems create a .lost+found partition. The
	idea is during fsck if a file is found which fsck can not find
	the correct link to relink it to it will save the file in
	.lost+found for you to take a look at and maybe rename and
	restore to the file system.

	Normally from what I have found over the years, if the file
	is there it really should have been deleted, or the file system
	was so screwed up that it should be wiped clean and restore from
	backup.

> I didn't see any negative comments about ext4 so I used it.  I'll have the
> same choice when I install on my desktop.  I assume that ext4 is the best
> choice.  Is that right?

	EXT4 file systems are the new replacement for EXT2 and EXT3 file
	system. There are a number of pluses for moving to it. Early in
	its life there was good reason not to. But now EXT4 is a very
	good choice. And depending on the size of the file system the
	only choice.

							Tony