2011 Mar 08 13:05

Re: [vox-tech] Netflix

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM, jim <jim@well.com> wrote:

>    how do you know online petitions are not worth...?
>    if i were in charge of a company or department, i'd
> make sure y group was attentive to incoming electronic
> info. i'd at least try to ensure that the filters were
> sufficiently granular and produced useful statistics.
>    it's a question: do you have info or are you jaded
> or some such?
>

> On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 13:37 -0600, Chanoch (Ken) Bloom wrote:
> > >
> > > There's an online petition out there somewhere.  I've signed it.
> >
> > Online petitions generally aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

I think that generally comes from signing countless online petitions
in the 90's and not seeing a single one pan out.  They had a petition
for everything...

* video card specs released to the X developers for this chipset or that chipset
* creation of a Linux client for Half-Life (there was already a server)
* GPL for various really old games that people wanted to port (e.g.
Redneck Rampage and Outlaws)
* petition for X developers to get all the Voodoo 5 GPUs active under X/Mesa.

I don't think I've seen a single petition amount to anything.   Seems
like their only real value is to raise public awareness of an issue
when the inevitable slashdotting happens.