2011 Feb 15 16:21

Re: [vox-tech] Apache: 2, Me: 0.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Bryan Richter <bryan.richter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 01:31:58AM -0500, Peter Salzman wrote:
>> Third time is a charm, perhaps.  I'm trying to get Apache to work.
>>
>> I can access dirac.org successfully from inside my network; I can't
>> access it from outside my home network.  Apache is running on a Linux box
>> on satan: 192.168.0.2 and I'm testing it from a MS Windows machine on
>> lucifer:192.168.0.3.  My ISP is optimum online.
>
> Can you confirm that optimum Online is not dropping your packets? I had
> Comcast do something similar to me. Comcast has a policy that subscribers
> cannot operate a server.  (Yes, this *does* go against everything the Internet
> is about, and pains me greatly.)
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like Optimum has a similar policy, depending on what
> type of account you have.
>
> From http://www.optimum.net/Terms :
>
>    Section 22.A.i: Users [of Optimum Online] may not run any type of server on
>    the system. This includes but is not limited to FTP, IRC, SMTP, POP, HTTP,
>    SOCKS, SQUID, DNS or any multi-user forums;
>
>    Section 22.B.i: Users [of Optimum Online Boost and Optimum Online Ultra] may
>    not run any servers except for a webserver (HTTP) and mail (SMTP) on the
>    system.  This includes but is not limited to FTP, IRC, POP, SOCKS, SQUID,
>    DNS or any multi-user forums.
>
> In my case, I was running an sftp server that worked for a while and then
> mysteriously stopped. When I contacted support, I was apprised of their policy,
> which I can only assume that they had reactively enforced.
>
> --
> - Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Good call, but I'm on Optimum Online Ultra.  It's pricey ($85/mo) but
between the 100Mbps down, 15 Mbps up, static IP, and being able to run
servers, I kind of had to get it, so I fall under 22B.

I called them and verified they don't drop packets to port 80, and in
fact, I actually do see the packets coming in to port 80.  Orson had a
good point about the 3 way handshake not being fully established, and
that's in my queue of things to investigate.  If the handshake isn't
being fully established, Apache wouldn't see the request, and that
would explain why I can't find a misconfiguration.

But as to why the 3-way handshake isn't being fully established ...
that would suck because I have *no* idea how to diagnose that sort of
thing...

Pete