2011 Feb 15 12:13

Re: [vox-tech] Apache: 2, Me: 0.

On 02/15/2011 12:38 PM, Peter Salzman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Orson Jones <orson.lugod@afriskito.net> wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, Apache is listening to 80 -- I think I know that
>>> because the webserver is accessible from inside the LAN.  But just to
>>> make 100% sure,
>>
>> Rereading your original post, I misunderstood the setup.
>> It sounds like the packets are getting in, hitting the server, being
>> responded to by the server, but not making it back out the router.
>>
>> I think your apache config may be ok, but your router may not be handling
>> the return traffic correctly. It's also possible that your server's routing
>> tables are incorrect, but that is unlikely with it using DHCP.
>>
>> For the sake of being thorough, running the 'route' command should show the
>> default destination gateway to be the IP of your router.
>>
>> As for your router not passing data back out, I'm at a loss as how to
>> correct that. Perhaps running netcat or sshd and trying to connect to that
>> could tell you if it is apache not working correctly, or the router.
>>
>> Orson
>

> Hi Orson,
>
> I'm pretty sure the problem is that Apache is not responding to the
> incoming external packets, not that the outgoing packets are being
> lost.
>
> The reason why I say this is because:
>
> * /var/log/apache/access.log
> * /var/log/apache/dirac.org.access.log
> * /var/log/apache/iuselinux.org.access.log
>
> are all empty.  When I access dirac.org from inside the LAN, I can see
> exactly which files and images are requested because they get logged
> in the *.access logs.  But when I access dirac.org from outside the
> LAN, the requests aren't logged in the *.access files.
>
> So therefore, I don't think Apache is responding to external requests.
>
> Pete

I don't think apache finds out about a connection until the tcp connection
is fully established. (has completed the tcp 3-way handshake) According to
your tcp dump it is only making it through the first two steps of the
handshake. I think this is why apache doesn't show any connections in the
access logs.

Orson