January 6: Social gathering
2011 Jan 25 16:46

Re: [vox-tech] Backup User Permissions

On 01/24/2011 01:27 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> In the example use case I want to copy my Apache logs over to a 2nd
> machine to run awstats on it without putting much of a load on the
> actual web server. I was thinking of creating a "backup" user,
> generating a passphraseless key and then rsync on a cron timer.
> Should this user be a system user (below 1000) or a regular user (above
> 1000), since it needs a key I would assume it needs to be a regular user
> with a home directory?

	Once you settle on the user you are going to use, you can add
	the program 'sshfs' which allows you to mount the directory.

	Sshfs works a lot like NFS, but you don't need to export the
	director. It uses SSH but as far as seeing anything it is a
	local directory. You will want the SSH key on the other machine.

	Then instead of using rsync you can do a simple 'cp -r' of the
	files (unless you are really worried about the timestamps).

								Tony