2011 Jan 18 15:44

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS upgrade woes

On 01/16/2011 10:40 PM, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> Long story shoty. I have a Kubuntu 9.04 install. Finally told it to upgrade,
> and it brought itself up to 9.10, and then I initiated an upgrade to 10.04.
> It started reporting errors, with the only options being "Report Bug" (which
> did nothing) and "Close" (dismiss error).
>
> It got through all of the pkgs in the "Upgrade" step (next step being
> "Cleanup") and complained that some stuff wasn't installed, and it would
> issue a "dpkg-reconfigure -a" or somesuch to fix itself.  Dimissed that
> window, then the main window hung (blank).
>
> It's late, and it looked in a bad state, so I zapped it and rebooted.
> Now I'm landing im a shell upon reboot with a complaint about
> "mountall" not taking some argument or another.
>
> So... anybody got a 10.10 disc I can borrow?  I'd like to boot into LiveCD
> mode, re-copy my home directory over to my NAS, and then wipe & reinstall.
> I'd love to get back up and running before Tuesday.  Anyone got one I can
> grab in the morning? ;)
>
> This is the worst upgrade disaster I've witnessed.  Stupid Ubuntu. :(

I can burn one for you in the morning. This is one reason why I do
separate partitions for / and /home.

Have you tried an apt-get dist-upgrade with a force option from the
command line to see if it just needs to rerun or finish some stuff. My
upgrade along the same line went fine for my laptop a few months back.

Thanks,
Alex