January 6: Social gathering
2011 Jan 08 23:04

Re: [vox-tech] Search Warrant Question re: IP Address Leases

Re: [vox-tech] Search Warrant Question re: IP Address Leases

   Dear Bob,

   I've set up Linksys routers for both my father and father-in-law which
run OpenWRT. On the routers I run a cron job to periodically download a
tiny file from my web site so I can see if the routers (and service) are
up. Both connections are to Yahoo DSL, but I noticed that my father's
connection keeps its IP address for weeks or months before changing, while
my father-in-law's IP address changes about every day, randomly. I think
the difference is in the reliability of the DSL modem or the amount of
phone line noise - that the IP address would stay the same for a long
time, unless the connection is interrupted, causing a new one to be
assigned.

   Yours,

     Chris