2011 Jan 01 22:43

[vox-tech] squid proxy server & client configuration to bypass GFW

[vox-tech] squid proxy server & client configuration to bypass GFW

hello all:

Here is the thing. A friend of mine in China wanted to access Google's android developer site, unfortunately since Google stopped business in China, its tech sites seemed also being blocked by the Great Firewall.

So he asked me for a solution. I checked and it seems Squid proxy is the way to go.

I've instlled Squid on my Ubuntu 9.10 home server, however, the configuration seems complex in both server and client (I presume it's a browser).

Now the question: if my sole purpose is to allow my friend to access certain websites throu the proxy server, what info I need from him and how to config the /etc/squid/squid.conf? What I need to let him know so that he can do his part to make the connection?

I did some google, and start wondering if the ssh tunneling or firefox configureation is part of this effort?

Anyway, I am really out of depth in this domain - the question might sound silly, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Hai