[vox-tech] Problem with Gigabyte 890FX, Phenom II, and Kubuntu

[vox-tech] Problem with Gigabyte 890FX, Phenom II, and Kubuntu

Recently I upgraded to this MB, with an AMD Phenom II.  The latest
Kubuntu (10.10) is loaded onto it.  Twice it has halted suddenly: no
activity, no output, and has required a reboot.  This is not an external
power problem: its power comes from an APC 3000.  There is nothing in
the logs: everything runs normally and then suddenly nothing does.

In both instances, the stoppage has occurred in the middle of a set of
cron.daily jobs (in the middle of the night), so I am exploring that
avenue.  The problem is that the machine has been in place for 7 weeks,
and the two stoppages are about 5 weeks apart - there's not much to go on.

I'm looking for any ideas about how to track this down: is there a
utility that might give me more insight?  More to the point, does anyone
in the group have this combination and a comparable experience?

TIA

Cam Ellison