January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Vipre and ESET Antivirus

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 17:23 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net):
>
> > Tsk tsk, this is off-topic for a Linux group! ;)
>
> You know, that's actually something I've until now understood to be
> (idiosyncratically to LUGOD) not the case, because of the way the
> mailing list was chartered.  (Please note, I'm not challenging what
> you're saying, Bill.  I'm just saying I've previously heard
> differently.)
>
> Specifically, the listinfo page says 'All Linux and computer related
> technical questions and discussions go here', and the page title says
> 'vox-tech -- lugod's technical discussion forum'.  Over the years, it
> has seemed as if 'computer related technical questions' had been
> construed to encompass non-Linux OSes and applications as well, which is
> why until today I'd not been surprised to see those discussions occur
> frequently without objection.
>
> Again, no problem whatsoever if you want to see concentration on Linux.
> I'm just saying it looks like a small shift from prior policy, as I
> understood it.

I've seen non-Linux stuff here from time to time, but I think there's a
gentlemen's agreement that it should be relatively rare, and that the
more Linux relevant it is, the better (e.g. I doubt anyone would beven
think to complain that a question about Debian GNU/KFreeBSD or Debian
GNU/Hurd was off topic).

--Ken