Re: [vox-tech] Idea for 'tee' -- shut up already!

Re: [vox-tech] Idea for 'tee' -- shut up already!

Nick hack!

I like to do this:

    cat hugefile.log | grep whatever | cut -f 1,2,3 > output.txt &
    tail -f output.txt

You'll get the same effect, but when you hit Control-c you'll just
kill the tail command. The pipeline building output.txt keeps running
in the background. But if you end up viewing the entire output, tail
won't tell you when the pipeline exits, it'll just sit there waiting
for some other process to append to output.txt - you have to exit the
tail command. Great for log files, e.g.:

    tail -f access.log | grep Safari

When experimenting to find the right parameters for grep/egrep/cut, I
usually use |more or |less to preview the grep/cut operation and then
re-run with |tee. But after you asked this, I went looking and sure
enough, less has a command for this. From the man page:

s filename

  Save the  input to  a file. This only works if the input is a
  pipe, not an ordinary file.

So you'd run

    cat hugefile.log | grep whatever | cut -f 1,2,3 | less

Check the output, then type "s" and "output.txt" when you want to stop
viewing it.

Harold