[vox-tech] scp bandwidth limit

My DSL is assymetric.  Uploads slow down everything else (most
notably, my SSH sessions).

This is particularly noticable now that I have a WiFi router that does
more than just 802.11b.  (In other words, it's a lot easier for my
laptop to saturate my DSL bandwitdh now ;) )

I find that things work nice if I limit the upload speed using
"scp -l 240" (30KB/s, since it seems to max out at about 50-60KB/s).
However, I'd like to do this only when uploading, not downloading.
So setting up an alias (e.g., "alias scp scp -l" in my ~/.bashrc)
isn't the best solution.

Is there a config somewhere that I can use to limit 'local -> remote'
transfers (uploads), while not limiting 'remote -> local' transfers
(downloads)?  I don't see _anything_ related to bandwidth limiting
in "man ssh_config" (which kinda makes sense, since the "-l" option
is specific to scp).

Is there some scp config file that I'm not discovering? :)

Sent from my computer