2010 Oct 29 18:28

Re: [vox-tech] Seeking Router Advice

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 01:31:02PM -0700, Scott Miller wrote:
> If your router can't do WPA2, chances are it's an 802.11b router.

FYI, I had a Netear WGR614r5 that just quit after many years of good service.
It supported 802.11g but not WPA2.

> There are speed benefits to having 802.11g or 802.11n router +
> similarly capable wifi cards in your computers. :)

Most definitely.

> On 10/29/2010 11:01 AM, Bob Scofield wrote:
> > 1) Should I get a new router just to use WPA2?

It's my understanding that the issues with WPA are with TKIP and that it's
not such a big deal unless you have a motivated and fairly skilled
attacker.  A reading of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_Key_Integrity_Protocol> explains
that weaknesses in TKIP may allow an attacker to inject a handful of
packets into your network, but it does sound like it would take an awful
lot of persistence to do anything more than be a nuisance.  WPA2 also
benefits from reduced overhead in the key exchange and caching of keys when
roaming across multiple APs so if you were using multiple APs around the
house, it might work smoother on a WPA2 network.

If your device supports WPA/AES then I'd switch to that.  Even if not, I
personally wouldn't sweat WPA/TKIP for casual home use.

> > 3)  If I did get a new router, what would be a good one to get?

I recently grabbed a Netgear WNR3500L which is pretty hackable and capable.
I didn't do a ton of research, but I did enough to be satisfied.

-t