2010 Oct 29 12:35

[vox-tech] Seeking Router Advice

I am asking the following questions in regard to a wireless router I use in my
home.

I recently attended a class where I was told that one should use WPA2 if it is
available.  I have an old D-Link (DI 614) which is not longer supported by
D-Link.  It's been good.  I've had no problems with it.  Right now I've got
it set up with WEP and MAC filtering.  I could use WPA, but it cannot use
WPA2.

I saw a discussion on the Internet where people were saying that WPA2 is not
really better than WPA.  People were saying that WPA2 was just being pushed
so that vendors could sell more products.  Here are three question:

1) Should I get a new router just to use WPA2?

2)  How new would the computers in my family have to be to use WPA2?

3)  If I did get a new router, what would be a good one to get?

I've been happy with D-Link, but I've had occasions where my laptop with an
Atheros card could not connect with a Linksys router in Linux, but could
connect with Windows.

Thank you for any advice.

Bob