2010 Oct 25 18:05

Re: [vox-tech] find not found

On 10/24/2010 06:28 PM, Peter Salzman wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> wrote:

>>> Is /usr/bin in your path?
>> Yes.  It was not a path problem, but a missing file problem.  That's
>> the mystery.
>>
>> I have a feeling my Hauppauge PVR-350 TV capture card may have
>> caused this.  It was recording a program and had died (i.e. would
>> no longer record), which is what prompted the original reboot.
>>
>> Rod
>

> Seems like that would be more of a symptom than a cause.  How would
> recording a program delete files in of itself?
>
> I haven't followed the entire thread -- was filesystem (either
> physical or virtual) or memory corruption ruled out?
>
> Pete

Given the orphaned inodes, it would appear there was filesystem
corruption.  If the capture card is having hardware trouble, that
suggests it might be the cause of memory or I/O failure that may
lead to such things.  At least to my simple way of thinking.

My reason for suspecting a hardware failure in the capture card is
that a couple of times in the past, it had stopped working and my
fix each time was a shutdown and restart.  Not very scientific
of course.

Rod