2010 Oct 24 13:35

Re: [vox-tech] find not found

On 10/23/2010 06:10 PM, Rod Roark wrote:
> Well, current dmesg does include this:
>
> [    1.942506] EXT4-fs (sda1): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
> [    1.942509] EXT4-fs (sda1): write access will be enabled during recovery
> [    3.570223] EXT4-fs (sda1): orphan cleanup on readonly fs
> [    3.570235] EXT4-fs (sda1): ext4_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 394234
> [    3.584069] EXT4-fs (sda1): ext4_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 391083
> [    3.584077] EXT4-fs (sda1): 18 orphan inodes deleted
> [    3.584079] EXT4-fs (sda1): recovery complete
> [    4.307438] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
>
> This goes with the reboot that I did after findutils was reinstalled and
> a system upgrade via synaptic was done.  /var/log/syslog from yesterday's
> reboot did not show anything like that, however I do remember that reboot
> showing the BIOS startup screen a second time, which struck me as being
> weird at the time.

Strange.  I've heard of virtualization attacks that boot the attackers
host, then boot the victims image.

> So, maybe something is going on with the hard drive.  But I didn't see
> anything in "man hdparm" about doing a suitable test.  Guess I'll do
> something with fsck later tonight.  By the way nightly backups are routine
> here.

Ah, sorry, my fault, I meant a long test with smartctl, not hdparm.
Glad to hear about backups, I'd feel really bad is something I suggested
generated more disk activity and that was enough to push a flaky drive
over the edge.