2010 Oct 25 18:05

[vox-tech] find not found

A strange thing happened last night around 10:09 pm.  I had just rebooted
my home server (running Ubuntu 10.04), and then started getting emails
from cron jobs saying this:

/bin/sh: find: not found

Sure enough, /usr/bin/find did not exist.  Brought up the Synaptic
package manger and learned that findutils was indeed installed, and
that /usr/bin/find is one of the files that it installs.  Somehow this
file had simply disappeared.

It seems that installing packages requires find, so I ended up copying
it over from another machine running the same distribution.  Then I
forced a reinstall of findutils and all was good.

Except I have no clue what happened.  Checking the logs did not
turn up anything interesting.  Any ideas?

Rod