2010 Oct 21 14:17

Re: [vox-tech] procmail question

On 10/21/10 10:27 AM, Tony Cratz wrote:
>> I see some recipes that have the following on the first line.
>>
>> :0:
>
> 	It should.
>
> 	The rule ':0:' is used to not to continue on to the next rule
> 	if there is a match on the test. So think of it as.

Actually, man 5 procmailrc states:

Local lockfile
        If you put a second (trailing) ':' [as in :0:] on the first
        recipe line, then procmail  will use a locallockfile (for this
        recipe only).  You can optionally specify the locallockfile to
        use; if you don't  however,  procmail will  use the destination
        filename (or the filename following the first '>>') and will
        append $LOCKEXT to it.

Thus, you should use :0: if you're delivering to a mailbox that cannot
support concurrent deliveries by multiple processes (e.g. an mbox file).
  You can use :0 if you're piping to an application, delivering to a
Maildir, etc.

procmail stops processing your recipe file when it executes a delivering
recipe where "delivering recipe" is defined as:

     Delivering recipes are those that cause header and/or body of the
     mail to  be:  written  into  a file, absorbed by a program or
     forwarded to a mailaddress.

You can cause a delivering recipe to considered non-delivering by using
the 'c' (carbon copy) flag as in:

     :0 c

Cheers,
Matt