2010 Sep 26 12:51

Re: [vox-tech] Thoughts on a Firewall Laptop

On 21/09/2010, Jan W <jcwynholds@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Edwin:
>
> I would look at making some custom udev rules.
>
> Here is a line that renames a certain usb ethernet device usb_eth instead of
> ethN:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:14:d1:*",
> ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="usb_eth"
>
> Look at the 'add' and 'remove' actions and the 'run' command in your udev
> rules.
>
> --cheers
>
> jan

Thanks for the tip, Jan.
I'll dig around in the udev rules and see what I can do about running
a small script for the add section.
I don't think I need anything special for the remove section. I
experimented by pulling out the surf stick without first ending
wvdial. The pppd dies, wvdial tries a redial, complains that the
ttyUSB2 device is missing and gracefully exits. I don't think that I
need to take down the firewall after removing the surf stick. Correct
me if I am wrong.

Edwin