2010 Sep 02 10:58

Re: [vox-tech] External vs. Bare Drive/Case

On 09/01/2010 11:25 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 10:28 PM, Bill Broadley wrote:
>>> While I like the 2.5" drive option, I don't see them having the capacity
>>> I need and I'm not sure if I can find as good of external cases for them
>>
>> The URL I included was a 2.5" drive, 1TB, and has a nice external case.

> I assume power consumption on that is 5W max since it's a usb based
> device with no external power source.

Ya, it's all integrated and it's a laptop drive.  So the usb easily
powers it, unlike any external enclosure with a 3.5" drive.

> That is the plan, though I intend to offer the hosting family members
> space on the system too. So I'd need at least 1 TB just for stuff at my
> house and room to grow hence the interest in 2 TB drives.

Ah, yeah, sounds well justified.

> Good point, rsync always scares me, guess I just need to run all the
> commands in test mode 1st(I have tendency to create a duplicate of a
> directory as a child directory instead of syncing).

Heh, yeah, easy to do.  It's tricky, but reliable once setup.  There's
tons of programs that will hide most of the complexity though.  One I've
used in the past is duplicity, it's pretty flexible and will target all
kinds of remote storage, even amazon s3.

> That one's still to be decided depending on how I back things up. Right
> now my Photos are add only (and my next big project is to digitize a old
> record collection); never delete and my system backups are
> Full/incremental keeping between 6 months and a year. Ideally of course
> all these files main versions actually live elsewhere.

Sounds like a good plan.