2010 Sep 01 23:30

Re: [vox-tech] External vs. Bare Drive/Case

On 09/01/2010 10:08 PM, Tony Cratz wrote:
> On 09/01/2010 10:03 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> I am thinking about 2x 2TB actually, one on-site and one offsite cloned
>> with something like drbd. Since I always seem to be expanding my photos
>> and science data, I easily see the need for additional 2 TB drives in a
>> couple of years (another reason why starting with 1 TB might be a nuisance)
>

> 	If you see yourself adding drives in the future, then why
> 	not go to a NAS solution now? You get higher transfer speed
> 	then what USB 2.0 can give you.
>

> 							Tony

I believe in the previous thread the conclusion was 'too many eggs in
one basket'.

That had been my original idea, but after looking around at the options
I decided a low wattage (6-10W) wallet sized pc with some usb devices
would ultimately be more flexible and much greener (about 1/4 the power
consumption of a NAS)

Also in an emergency the drives can now be attached to any computer at
any time if I need access to them without opening cases etc.

Thanks,
Alex