2010 Sep 01 21:46

Re: [vox-tech] External vs. Bare Drive/Case

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 01:16:25PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> For those who recall my previous thread, I'm currently searching for
> some backup drives. Based on feedback here, discussions and readings
> external usb drives sound like the way to go (networked via some low
> power mini computer or routerish device).
>
> Now the hard part, trying to find some reliable hard drives. Looking
> around, it's slim pickings to find 2 TB drives that get decent reviews.
> I'm specifically looking for slow, low-power, reliable,"green" drives.
>
> I'm fairly settled on getting an external case and putting my own drive
> in it, mostly because I can't find an external with drive that fits the
> needs. None of them list power consumption and seem to have all sorts of
> features I have no interest in paying for. Not to mention the warranty
> is way better if I buy the drive separate.
>
> What I've found so far is that WD drives at the 1TB range get great
> reviews and WD 2 TB drives only get 50% great reviews, 25%Terrible
> reviews. The best I could find is SAMSUNG EcoGreen F3 HD203WI 2TB 5400
> RPM with 70% great reviews.
>
> Just looking to see if anyone else has had any experience with drives
> like these.

I've often heard that the highest capacity drives available
usually have the most platters and so are less reliable because
of more moving parts, and they are more expensive. I wish newegg
would list the number of platters a drive has, supposedly 4 or 5
is alot and 2 or 3 is a good amount. Sometimes you can find out
from other sites like http://www.storagereview.com/ and
http://www.redhill.net.au/ also has a lot of cool info about hard
drives.
Nick Schmalenberger