January 6: Social gathering
2010 Sep 01 13:54

[vox-tech] External vs. Bare Drive/Case

For those who recall my previous thread, I'm currently searching for
some backup drives. Based on feedback here, discussions and readings
external usb drives sound like the way to go (networked via some low
power mini computer or routerish device).

Now the hard part, trying to find some reliable hard drives. Looking
around, it's slim pickings to find 2 TB drives that get decent reviews.
I'm specifically looking for slow, low-power, reliable,"green" drives.

I'm fairly settled on getting an external case and putting my own drive
in it, mostly because I can't find an external with drive that fits the
needs. None of them list power consumption and seem to have all sorts of
features I have no interest in paying for. Not to mention the warranty
is way better if I buy the drive separate.

What I've found so far is that WD drives at the 1TB range get great
reviews and WD 2 TB drives only get 50% great reviews, 25%Terrible
reviews. The best I could find is SAMSUNG EcoGreen F3 HD203WI 2TB 5400
RPM with 70% great reviews.

Just looking to see if anyone else has had any experience with drives
like these.

Thanks,
Alex