2010 Aug 20 09:59

Re: [vox-tech] USB confusion

> Start with:
> lsusb
> Which will list all usb devices that are plugged in. CentOS which is
> really meant as a server distro probably doesn't auto-mount usb devices.
> Some might say that action would be a security risk on a server. So you
> will probably have to mount it yourself. So the next step is (might need
> to be run as root or sudo)
> fdisk -l
> Which should list drives attached.
> That will give you enough information to try and mount a drive.
> See:
> man mount
> for more info.

Alex (and all the rest), thanks for the great tips. I've determined the
true source of the problem: the reason why the PC was sitting around
and not in use was that the USB ports on it were dead. That would explain
why it did nothing when I plugged in devices. It's going to be e-wasted
and I'll find another system.

Thanks all for your time,

-- Dave Spencer, PageWeavers